About the WST
As of January 2015, the WST consists of one experience-based essay prompt. Students will have 70 minutes for the test: 15 minutes to plan the essay, 45 minutes to write, and 10 minutes to proofread. Please allow additional time for check-in.
For resources to help you prepare, visit: How to Prepare
For undergraduate students:
As of Fall 2014, students must complete English 1A (GE Area A2) and one of the following to qualify for the WST (courses in progress acceptable):
- A second semester Humanities Honors Program course with a "C-" or better ("D+" not accepted)
- Completion of Stretch English Courses with a "C-" or better
- English 1B (for SJSU Engineering majors only)
- One course from GE Area A3 (all other majors)
Undergraduate students who enrolled prior to Fall 2014 must complete both English
1A and 1B (or an acceptable alternative course) with a grade of "C-" or better.
For graduate students:
Most graduate students are NOT required to complete English 1A and English 1B to take the WST. Check with your department advisor for details. If you are required to complete English 1A and 1B, please check with your academic advisor to ensure that your previous coursework is equivalent.
You can also check by:
- Visit the Articulation site.
- Use the Articulation drop-down menu at the top of the page and choose "Course to Course", then select the college you attended.
- Scroll down to English courses (The left column shows SJSU course numbers, the right column shows course numbers from your college.)
Admission tickets are sent via MySJSU messaging, not e-mail.
Please check your MySJSU account 1 week prior to the test date. Print out your admission ticket and bring it with you on the day of the test.
If you do not have an SJSU ID, your admission ticket will be mailed to the address provided during registration.
If you have not received a ticket yet, please wait until 3 days prior to the exam and then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received your ticket.
Test sessions are usually at 8:00AM, 10:15AM, 12:30PM, and 2:45PM, depending on the number of registrants.
Times are randomly assigned. Please reserve the entire day and make any appropriate arrangements in advance. Requests to change times will not be granted.
The Testing Office reserves the right to modify testing times and test dates.
In the event of a schedule conflict, we will reschedule once as long as the request is received prior to the registration deadline. Please contact email@example.com to request an alternate date. Please provide your SJSU ID number and your receipt.
After the registration deadline, late requests for rescheduling are allowed only with acceptable documentation. Issues such as documented health concerns, court appearances, or similar issues may be valid reasons for rescheduling your exam date. Official documentation must be submitted by 2 weeks prior to the exam date.
Last-minute emergencies, accidents, deaths in the family, and medical issues can and do happen. In such cases, we can reschedule for a future testing date. For last-minute requests, you have up to 2 weeks after the date of the exam to submit documentation and a request to reschedule.
The Testing Office reserves the right to grant or deny rescheduling requests.
If You Fail The WST
Failure to complete the WST requirement can delay your graduation and also delay your enrollment into courses which require the WST as a prerequisite.
According to the current Presidential Directive, you may either:
- Continue to take additional writing courses, OR
- Engage in other tutorial or writing improvement work (e.g., visit the Peer Connections or the Writing Center) to bring your writing skills up to the required competency, OR
- Take the ENG/LLD 100A course after receiving two failing scores on the WST.
For more information, you may view the policy here.