EPT/ELM Registration Information
How to Register
The English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Math (ELM) tests can be taken at
any CSU campus. Results can be sent to any other CSU campus.
Registration is done online with Educational Testing Services (ETS).
Please check carefully to make sure that you select the correct campus!
Learn more about the tests here: About the CSU Placement Tests
When you're ready to register, start here: Registering for the CSU Placement Tests
- Read all directions carefully. Many awkward situations can be prevented by reading ETS's guidelines very closely and following their directions.
- Click the blue "Register Now" button after you have read everything. It will take you to the CSU EPT/ELM login page. Bookmark this. You will need it later.
- In the grey box, click "Register for the Test" and then create a User Name and Password. Write it down and save it. We cannot retrieve lost information. You must contact ETS.
- Enter and confirm your personal information. If you receive accommodations, you must request them in advance when you register.Read the information and check the box to request accommodations.
- Select your campus, test date, and test type(s), then click "Continue to Step 2".
- Enter Test Score Identification Information then click "Continue to Step 3".
- Confirm your information and mark the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Click on "Continue to Step 4: Payment", complete payment information, and submit.
- Print your confirmation and save it.
On some test dates, a limited number of stand-by spaces may be available. Please email the Testing Office for more information on how to request a stand-by space.
Stand-by spaces are NOT guaranteed and are on a first-come, first-serve basis only. Candidates may be dismissed from the test center if spaces are not available.
In order to increase the likelihood of your admission on the day of the test, you MUST have all of the following items with you (no exceptions):
- Valid photo ID
Examples: valid State ID Card, driver's license, passport, or current high school ID.
IMPORTANT: Expired and temporary IDs are not accepted. Photographs not accepted.
If you are not sure if your ID will be accepted, please e-mail us before we close!
- Sharpened pencils (#2 only)
- Check or money order (payable to ETS; $20 for 1 test / $40 for both)
We cannot accept cash or debit/credit cards. No exceptions.
Any stand-by candidates who are missing one or more of the above items will NOT be admitted into the placement test. No exceptions.
Extended time and/or disability-related accommodation requests need to be made four weeks prior to the test date.
Please register for the test first and visit an Accessible Education Center (EAC) counselor as soon as possible with an order number or receipt. The AEC is located in the Administration Building, Room 110. Check their website for office hours.
Out-of-State and International Testing
Failure to follow strict deadlines will result in delays in score reporting and hinder your ability to enroll in courses. If you fail to meet the deadline for requesting materials or if you fail to mail back materials timely, please email the Testing Office as soon as possible.
Follow these instructions to request materials for Out-of-State SJSU students.
- Register from one of the options above and pick the out-of-state option (This applies to International Students as well).
- Follow directions from ETS. If ETS does not contact you, in two weeks, the Testing Office at SJSU.
- Take the placement test.
- Request proctor to send materials back before the deadline or as soon as the test is taken.
For Out-of-State and International SJSU students, follow these deadlines:
Request testing materials by
Deadline for ETS
April 1, 2017**
May 6, 2017**
* All materials need to be received by the deadline, not postmarked.
** For International or Out of State students who have missed this deadline or have questions, please contact the Testing Office at email@example.com.