How do I get my admission ticket?

How can I prepare for the WST?

How long is the test?  

How can I reschedule my WST?

How can I take the WST if I live far from SJSU?

How do I request a score report?

How can I register or receive scores if I do not have an SJSU ID Number?

You cannot register online for the test without an SJSU ID Number. You will need to request a paper registration form. Please e-mail to request a temporary ID number to register online. (credit card only, no debit)

If you have trouble registering online, you may register in-person at our office, using the temporary ID. (cash/check only)

The temporary ID is not an SJSU ID number. It will only be used for the test.

Once you receive your SJSU ID number, send us an e-mail with your full name, the assigned ID you were given, and your SJSU ID number. We will upload your scores to your account within 3 business days. You can enroll for classes after the scores have been posted.

Do freshmen need to take the WST?

Freshmen do not need to take the WST during their first semester. Most already completed the English Placement Test prior to enrollment. However, many freshmen neglect to take the WST after completing their second-semester composition course (or other qualifying course).

Please take the WST as soon as you qualify. Read more on qualifying criteria here

Do I need to take the WST even though I have an Associate's Degree?

Yes.  The WST is part of the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR), which all CSU undergraduates must meet in order to complete their degrees.

When does a transfer student/sophomore have to take the WST?

Take the WST as soon as you complete equivalent qualifying coursework at your school.

Read more on course-to-course articulation here.
Read more on qualifying criteria for the WST here

Engineering transfer students: take the WST after completing ENGL 1B.

Nursing transfer students: take the WST before you apply to SJSU. You will need the WST score on file before the Nursing Department will process your application.

If you have graduated from another CSU campus, please ask their Testing Office (or GWAR Office) to either fax a score report to (408) 924-5909 or mail a score report to:

SJSU Testing Office
One Washington Square (IS 228)
San Jose, CA 95192-0039

Do I have to take the WST if I am a graduate student?

Graduate students do not have to take the WST for the 100W or 200W course unless it is specifically required by their program. However, all graduate students are required to demonstrate competency in written English as a requirement for graduation. SJSU policy requires that English competency be a requirement for advancement to graduate candidacy.

See your department graduate advisor for more details about your programs's Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).


Can I take the WST if I have not completed a second semester English (or an equivalent course) as an Undergraduate student?


However, we highly recommend completing a second-semester composition course or other qualifying course with a grade of "C-" or better (not "D+") before registering for the WST. It will help prepare students to pass the WST.

Courses in progress are acceptable, but we recommend registering for the WST towards the later half of the semester, once you are nearly finished with the course.