(currently unavailable, due to CV19)
About The Test
This examination fulfills GE American Institutions, Area US3. It does not yield unit credit.
The test is a 60 minute multiple-choice examination that can be taken twice (2) to pass.
35 correct items out of 50 is passing. There is a 2 week waiting period between retests.
Suggested Reading List
- Gerston, Larry N. & Christensen, Terry. (2017) California Politics and Government: A Practical Approach (14th edition).
- League of Women Voters of California. (2015) Guide to California Government (16th Edition).
Reading both texts is advised. Older editions (2013 or newer) may be substituted.
The following topics should be studied:
- California's Early Constitution
- Growth and Population Characteristics of California
- Political Parties
- Direct Democracy
- Interest Groups
- The Courts, the Legislature, the Governor and the Executive Branch
- Local Government
- Major Issues in Public Policy (such as education and immigration)
For questions about how to prepare for the California Government Waiver Exam, contact
Professor James Brent, Department Chair, at 408-924-5550.
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, e-mail our office.
Cost for the test is $15, collected when you arrive. (SJSU Students: $11 w/Tower Card)
Cash or check only, please.
Results will be available within 2-3 business days. SJSU students will be notified via MySJSU messaging; non-SJSU students will receive their score report in the mail.