College Level Examination Program
(Updated with Covid-19 info)
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a computer-based credit by examination program. Tests are available in
over 30 different subject areas. Earning a passing score on a CLEP exams can help
you to earn credit towards general education requirements and/or the completion of
an undergraduate degree.
Click here for information on SJSU credit for CLEP exams.
For your safety (COVID-19 guidelines), we will also require you to follow our physical distancing guidelines and procedures.
When you arrive at the testing location:
a. Face masks are required. Any exceptions must be approved in advance before you arrive.
b. Wait in line on the decals outside of the office. (at least 6' apart from others)
c. Only 2 candidates will be checked in at a time.
d. Temperature checks will be administered during the check-in phase.
e. We will direct you to open available restrooms, if needed.
How to Register
- Register for the test at CLEP registration, then print out the voucher they send you.
- E-mail our office to schedule an appointment. (3-5 business day advance notice)
- CLEP appointments are available on Fridays at 9:00am and 12:00pm beginning June 26, 2020. Exams last about 90 minutes. (Exception: We will be open Thursday, July 2 instead of Friday, July 3.)
- Payment will be requested in advance via e-mail. We will send a payment link.
- If you receive accommodations for testing, contact SJSU's Accessible Education Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 3-4 weeks in advance of your test. Let AEC know you will be taking a CLEP exam at the SJSU Testing Office and provide them with appropriate documentation.
- On the day of your appointment. Please bring:
- A valid photo ID. (Acceptable IDs include US Federal or State-issued driver's licenses, ID cards, and/or passports. Foreign passports are also accepted.)
- A printout of your voucher from CLEP. (We cannot activate the test without this.)
- Face masks must be worn, per governor's order.
- Consider these questions before arriving at our testing site. You do not need to provide
us with the answer to the questions. If you answer yes to any of the questions below,
please email us to reschedule:
- Have you tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- Have you had any of these symptoms (fever, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, a cough, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell) in the last 14 days?
- Are you experiencing fever, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, a cough, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell at this time?
- Do you have fever greater than 100 degrees?
- Have you been in close contact with someone displaying these known symptoms of COVID-19?
- Have you been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or who has tested positive for the virus that causes COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- Have you traveled outside the country or to any high-risk locations in the last 14 days or been in close contact with someone who traveled to high-risk locations in the past 14 days?
Active Military Service Members and Veterans
For active military service members and veterans, your exam fee and test administration fee may be covered. Visit CLEP Military Benefits for details, eligibility, and instructions on how to ensure that your benefits are processed correctly.
Register for the exam first with College Board, then e-mail us to schedule an appointment. Inform our staff that your exam fee is funded by DANTES. Please remember to bring your military ID when you check in.
Contact DANTES at (850) 452-1063 for any questions regarding your eligibility.
Most CLEP exams require a score of 50 to pass, but it varies by exam. Schools may also require a certain minimum score to be eligible for credit. If you score below the minimum threshold to receive credit, you must wait at least 90 days before retaking the same test.
Score reports are available immediately after the exam (except for exams with essays). CollegeBoard will transmit official score reports to your designated school within 7-10 business days. Once the report arrives, allow time for your school to process your score. (SJSU students: approximately 2 weeks. Other schools: varies by school.)
For exams where there is an optional essay required, you will not receive scores for your essays until after CollegeBoard has scored them (approximately 2 weeks).