WST Score Information
How long does it take for my score to be posted?
For most students:
Scoring for the WST takes about 2-3 weeks. You will receive a MySJSU message when your score is posted to your MySJSU account. You can also view your score on MySJSU:
- After you log into MySJSU, in the Academics area of your Student Center, click "My Academics"
- Near the bottom left of the screen, click "CSU FacGrad Campus Page"
- You will be able to see your WST status on the left side. (Green dot = pass, Red Square = no pass) Your essay score will be visible at the bottom right of the screen.
- Print the screen for your unofficial score report.
If you received a temporary ID for the WST:
Your score report will be mailed about 2-3 weeks after your test date.
- You will not be able to view your scores on MySJSU, or register for any classes that require the WST, until you have a SJSU ID. This number is assigned during the application process.
- As soon we you have your SJSU ID, please e-mail our office so we can transfer your score from the temporary ID to your MySJSU account. This is not done automatically. You must contact our office.
- When you contact us, please provide:
- Your first & last name
- Your 9-digit temporary ID #
- Your 9-digit SJSU ID #
- The date that you took the WST
- We will not be able to transfer your score if any information is missing.
If you are a graduate student:
If you are a graduate student and completed your undergraduate work at another school, your score may not appear on MySJSU. Should that occur, please e-mail us or visit our office to request a score report.
About Your Score
Your WST essay is scored by two readers, using a 0-6 point scale. The scores from both readers are combined to produce a total score (12 maximum).
Waiver Eligible *
6 or lower
Some departments will allow you to waive the 100W course requirement if your WST score is 11 or 12. If you are allowed to waive 100W, only the requirement will be lifted. You will not receive units. Check with your major/faculty advisor for details.
The following majors require completion of the 100W course (no waiver allowed, regardless of score): Chemistry, Engineering (all majors), English, Geology, History, Meteorology, Nursing, Psycholgoy, Social Science, World Languages & Literature (all majors).
All writing submitted will only be used for WST purposes and will not be redistributed without your consent. Essays are retained for one WST cycle only; essays are not returned after scoring for any reason. Click here for a PDF of the scoring guidelines.
For specific questions about scoring, contact the Writing Skills Test Coordinator, Sara Cook.
EFFECTIVE FALL 2017, WST scoring will result in course placement as follows:
- Score 11-12: Eligible for waiver of 100W course
- Score 7-10: Enroll in 100W
- Score 6 or lower: Enroll in ENGL 100A or LLD 100A
- Beginning Fall 2017, the prerequisite to 100A only requires 1 failed attempt on the WST.
- Students may retake the WST multiple times to achieve a higher score, but experience indicates that most students who do not pass the WST the first time are more successful when they take 100A.
- After passing 100A, you can enroll in 100W and continue to progress towards graduation.
Requesting a Score Report
If you transfer to another CSU campus, our office can mail them an official score report.
- Please download and complete an official score report request form.
- Mail it back to our office with a check for $2 (payable to SJSU).
- Once we receive the completed form and payment, we will send a score report within 5-7 days.
If you are a graduate student, you may request a free unofficial score report at our office. Please provide a valid photo ID and your SJSU ID# when you come in.