Out of Area WST Information
Taking the WST off-campus
Students studying abroad and students who live more than 50 miles away from SJSU may request to have their WST proctored at an approved testing center in their area.
This process incurs additional fees and requires advance notice to allow time for processing. Currently only available in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada. Must have a SJSU ID number. (Nursing applicants: click here.)
Off-campus WSTs are mailed out about two weeks in advance of the on-campus exams, which are only hosted six times per year. Plan ahead to make sure you meet all deadlines. This process may NOT be used to circumvent on-campus test cycles and/or deadlines.
To request to have your WST proctored:
- Locate a testing center in your area to proctor your exam.
- Acceptable centers include other university and/or college testing centers. If you live in California, you can find one at many of the local community colleges, most of the CSU campuses, and/or several of the UC campuses. If you live outside of California, check with the colleges/universities nearest to you.
- Once you find one, download a Proctor Request Form and complete it with their help.
- Register online for the WST before the registration deadline. (No late registration)
- E-mail us to request to have your WST proctored before the registration deadline (no late requests).
Include all of the following in your e-mail:
- your full name, your SJSU ID#, and a PDF of your ID (driver's license, passport, etc)
- a PDF of the completed Proctor Request Form (both parts) and your WST registration receipt
- All attachments are required. We will not process incomplete requests.
- Allow 7-10 business days for processing. We will send a confirmation e-mail and a quote for shipping costs when your testing center has been approved; this may take time.
After the exam has been shipped:
- Schedule an appointment with your test center to complete the exam. Try to test during the same week as our on-campus test if possible. Tests will be destroyed after 30 days.
- On the day of your test, bring a pen, your ID, and a check (payable to SJSU) to cover the shipping costs. Give that check to your testing center to enclose with your exam. Additionally, you are responsible for any and all fees charged by your test center.
- Once you complete your exam, ask your testing center to ship the test back to us within 24 hours. We will provide a return label for shipping.
- Once your exam arrives at SJSU, your exam will be sent for scoring with the next available group. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your exam to be graded. You will receive a notification via MySJSU messaging once your scores have been posted.