Out of Area WST Information
Taking the WST off-campus
Students studying abroad and students who live more than 50 miles away from SJSU may request to have their WST proctored at an approved testing center in their area.
This process incurs additional fees and requires advance notice to allow time for processing. Currently only available in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada. Must have a SJSU ID number.
To request to have your WST proctored:
- Locate a testing center in your area to proctor your exam.
- Acceptable centers include other university and/or college testing centers.
- If you live in California, you can find one at many of the local community colleges, most of the CSU campuses, and/or several of the UC campuses.
- If you live outside of California, check with the colleges and universities nearest to you.
- Once you find one, download a Proctor Request Form and complete it with their help.
- Register online for the WST before the registration deadline. (No late registration)
- E-mail the Testing Office to request to have your WST proctored before the registration deadline (no late requests).
Include all of the following in your e-mail:
- your full name (as it appears on your ID) and your SJSU ID#
- a PDF of your ID (driver's license, passport, or other proof of residence)
- a PDF of the completed Proctor Request Form (both parts)
- a PDF copy of your WST registration receipt
- All attachments are required. We will not process incomplete requests.
- Allow up to 7-10 business days for processing. We will send a confirmation e-mail and a quote for shipping costs when your testing center has been approved. Please bookmark this e-mail; we will use it for all correspondence and notifications during the process. Separate e-mails will delay processing time.
After the exam has been shipped:
- Allow 2-3 business days for your test to arrive. Schedule an appointment with your testing center to complete the exam. The test must be taken within 30 days of arrival.
- On the day of your test, bring a pen, your ID, and a check (payable to SJSU) to cover the shipping costs. Give that check to your testing center to enclose with your exam. Additionally, you are responsible for any and all fees charged by your test center.
- Once you complete your exam, ask your testing center to ship the test back to us within 24 hours. We will provide a return label for shipping.
- Once your exam arrives at SJSU, your exam will be sent for scoring with the next available group. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your exam to be graded. You will receive a notification via MySJSU messaging once your scores have been posted.