Registration Information (WST)
Please register early for the WST. Admission is limited to the first 2000 students only.
Registration for the WST is done online and requires a valid SJSU ID number. If you use an inactive number, an ID that is not in our records,
or another student's ID, you will not receive an admission ticket and your registration
fees will be forfeited.
If you do not have an SJSU ID number, please visit WST FAQ.
Nursing students: click here for more information.
When you register, please type your name exactly how it appears on your ID. Our examiners will deny admission to all candidates if their name does not match their ID.
- Click this CashNet link. Read the information there carefully, then click on "Writing Skills Test".
- Complete personal information carefully and accurately.
- It is very important that you register exactly as your name appears on your ID.
- If you have more than one last name, include them all in the Last Name field.
- Add any middle names after your first name in the First Name field.
- You will be denied admission if any of your information is missing, inaccurate, or invalid.
- Click on "Add to Basket", then click "Checkout".
- Complete payment information, then click on "Continue Checkout", then "Submit Your Order".
- Print "Order Receipt".
Fees are nonrefundable and may be subject to change. All writing submitted will only be used for WST purposes and will not be redistributed without your consent. Essays are retained for one WST cycle only; essays are not returned after scoring for any reason.
You will receive a confirmation receipt from CashNet when your transaction is completed. Please check your e-mail to view your receipt.
Important: Your receipt is not your admission ticket! (see below)
Admission tickets will be sent to your MySJSU messages (not e-mail) 1 week before the exam. The ticket will have your room number, exam time, and other directions on it. You must print the ticket (no electronic copies) and bring it with you to the exam.
If you have not received a ticket, check back later. If you still have not received a ticket by 3 days before the exam, please contact us at email@example.com.
For students with AEC accommodations, AEC will send a MySJSU message containing updated testing confirmation and information one week prior to the exam. Please follow the directions on your MySJSU message for updated information.
Late registration is only open to current SJSU students with valid SJSU ID numbers. There is an additional $15 charge, in addition to the regular registration fee. Fees are nonrefundable and may be subject to change.
A limited number of late registration spaces open on the Tuesday following the registration deadline. Space is extremely limited. Approximately 50-150 spaces will open, depending on the total number of registered students, test sessions, and availability of staff. Late registration will close on the Monday of the week of the exam or once all available spaces have been filled, whichever comes first.
Extended time and/or disability related accommodation requests need to be made four weeks prior to the test date. Accommodations are processed by the Accessible Education Center (AEC), located in the Administration Building, room 110.
Follow the directions below to request accommodations:
- Register for the test first.
- Contact the Accessible Education Center (AEC). Visit the AEC website for office hours and contact information. You will need to provide a copy of your receipt.
- Make an appointment to see an AEC counselor.
- Attend the scheduled appointment.
- Contact the Accessible Education Center (AEC) if you have not received a notice by one week prior to the test date.
Requests for religious accommodations must be made no later than 3 weeks prior to the test date. These accommodations are processed by our office. When you submit your request, please include a copy of your registration receipt, along with a letter from your religious institution (on official letterhead) with:
- your full name
- the reason why you cannot test on Saturday
- the official's signature and contact information
Most requests, if approved, will be rescheduled to Friday morning.
Out of Area Students
Students studying abroad and students who live more than 50 miles away from SJSU may request to have their WST proctored at an approved testing center in their area.
Currently only available in English-speaking countries.
Nursing candidates: if you do not have a SJSU ID#, please contact us first.
To request to have your WST proctored:
- First, locate a testing center in your area and ask them if they would be able to proctor your exam. Acceptable centers for this purpose would include other university and/or community college testing centers. When you locate one, download a Proctor Request Form and complete it with their help.
- Register online for the WST before the registration deadline. We do not offer late registration for Out of Area WSTs. If you register after the deadline, your test will be shipped with the next test cycle.
- E-mail the Testing Office to request to have your WST proctored no later than 3 business days after the registration
deadline. When you e-mail us, please provide:
- your full name (as it appears on your ID)
- SJSU ID#
- a PDF of your ID (driver's license, passport, or other proof of residence)
- a PDF of the completed Proctor Request Form
- a PDF copy of your receipt
- After this step is complete, please allow up to 7-10 business days for processing. We will send a confirmation e-mail and a quote for shipping costs when your testing center has been approved. Please bookmark this e-mail; we will use it for all correspondence during the process, and to notify you when your test is shipped. Separate e-mails may result in delays in processing time.
After the exam has been shipped:
- Allow 2-3 business days for your test to arrive at your designated testing center. Schedule an appointment with your testing center to complete the exam within 30 days of your test's arrival.
- Arrive early to your appointment with a pen, your ID, and registration materials. When you arrive, please bring a check (payable to SJSU) to cover the shipping costs. Give that check to your testing center to enclose with your exam. If applicable, be prepared to make a separate payment to your testing center to cover any fees that they charge for their proctoring service. Once you complete your exam, ask your testing center to ship the test back to us within 24 hours. We will provide a return label for shipping.
- Once your exam arrives at SJSU, your exam will be sent for scoring with the next available group. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your exam to be graded. You will receive a notification via MySJSU messaging once your scores have been posted.
All fees are nonrefundable and may be subject to change.
Additional fees and processing time may apply.