These exams are administered on an individual basis. Passing these waiver exams satisfies a requirement, but does not yield any unit credit.
These exams waive the following requirements:
- US History (GE - American Institutions, Area F1)
- American Government/US Constitution (GE - American Institutions, Area F2)
- California Government (GE - American Institutions, Area F3)
- Critical Thinking (GE - Area A3)
Instructions to take exam(s):
- Prepare for exam(s) using waiver exam reading list
- Call Testing Office at (408)924-5980 approximately 1-2 days prior to make an appointment
- Before arriving to take exam, prepare these items:
- Picture ID
- Either check, money order or cashier's check payable to SJSU or cash (bring exact change)
- SJSU student, payment of $11.00 is required (Tower Card is required)
- Non-SJSU student, payment of $15.00 is required
- Scores will take approximately 5 business days to process
The Waiver Exams described above do not earn unit credit toward graduation and differ in this regard from "Challenge Exams" (also known as Credit by Examination) which are administered by individual faculty or departments and do earn graduation credit. The petition for Credit by Examination (Challenge Exam) describes in more detail policies and procedures for Challenge Exams. The petition may be found on the Registars' webpage.