Makeup Exams (Students)
Our office is able to provide makeup exam services for students who may not be able to make up their exams with their instructors during regular office hours. This is optional for instructors to use and will require instructor approval in advance.
This is offered as a volunteer service by our office, free of charge, and is not funded by the university. Since our office coordinates these exams inbetween our other examination programs, requests may take 2 or more business days for processing. In emergency cases, your instructor will need to come to our office in person.
If you are a student and need to make up an exam for one of your SJSU courses, the procedure is as follows:
- Ask your instructor if you can take your makeup exam in our office. If they have not
used our service before, please direct them to the Faculty Services area of our website for more information.
- Please note: Instructors have the right to refuse to use our service and insist that you make up exams for their course according to the policies on their course syllabus. Staff are not required to use our service.
- If your instructor approves the use of our services, they must contact our office first. We will coordinate with them to get the exam and clarify all instructions. This process may take 2-3 business days.
- Once we have confirmed receipt of your exam, your instructor will direct you to e-mail our office to request an appointment time.
- In the e-mail, provide your full name, SJSU ID#, course, instructor, phone number, and 2-3 dates/times that you are available for testing. (We test Monday-Friday, first test 8:30am, all testing must end by 4:30pm.)
- Please allow at least 24 hours advance notice for any test appointments. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from our office with your appointment date and time.
- In urgent cases, we may be able to administer last-minute makeup exams on a space-available basis only. Your instructor must deliver the exam to us in person first. We will log the exam in our records first, and then we can give you the next available appointment slot once you arrive. Space may be limited and depending on our exam load, you may need to wait as long as 1-3 hours before we can help you. Students with advance appointments will have first priority. Due to this, we may reach capacity before all open seats are filled. If we cannot give you a space that day, you can make an appointment with our staff.
- When you come in, you must provide a valid photo ID and/or SJSU Tower Card for identification.
- You are responsible for providing any scantrons, blue books, and/or other materials required for your exam. Purchase them in advance from the Spartan Bookstore if you need any.
- After your exam is finished, please allow 2-3 days for your exam to be returned to your instructor, plus additional time for grading.
- Ask your instructor if you can take your makeup exam in our office. If they have not used our service before, please direct them to the Faculty Services area of our website for more information.
Students who may require accommodations for makeup exams must contact the Accessible Education Center in advance to make appropriate arrangements.