College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a computer-based credit by examination program. Tests are available in
over 30 different subject areas. Earning a passing score on a CLEP exams can help
you to earn credit towards general education requirements and/or the completion of
an undergraduate degree.
Click here for information on SJSU credit for CLEP exams.
How to Register
- Register for the test at CLEP registration, then print out the voucher they send you.
- E-mail our office to schedule an appointment.
- CLEP appointments are available Monday-Friday, at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm. Exams last about 90 minutes. Please give us at least 2 business days' advance notice.
- If you receive accommodations for testing, contact SJSU's Accessible Education Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 2-3 weeks in advance of your test. Let AEC know you will be taking a CLEP exam at the SJSU Testing Office and provide them with appropriate documentation.
- On the day of your appointment, please bring:
- A valid photo ID. (Acceptable IDs include US Federal or State-issued driver's licenses, ID cards, and/or passports. Foreign passports are also accepted.)
- A printout of your voucher from CLEP. (We cannot activate the test without this.)
- $25 to cover the test administration fee. This is separate from the payment made to College Board. We can accept a check/money order (payable to SJSU), or cash (exact change only, please).
Active Military Service Members and Veterans
For active military service members and veterans, your exam fee and test administration fee may be covered. Visit CLEP Military Benefits for details, eligibility, and instructions on how to ensure that your benefits are processed correctly.
Register for the exam first with College Board, then e-mail us to schedule an appointment. Inform our staff that your exam fee is funded by DANTES. Please remember to bring your military ID when you check in.
Contact DANTES at (850) 452-1063 for any questions regarding your eligibility.
Most CLEP exams require a score of 50 to pass, but it varies by exam. Schools may also require a certain minimum score to be eligible for credit. If you score below the minimum threshold to receive credit, you must wait at least 90 days before retaking the same test.
Score reports are available immediately after the exam (except for exams with essays). CollegeBoard will transmit official score reports to your designated school within 7-10 business days. Once the report arrives, allow time for your school to process your score. (SJSU students: approximately 2 weeks. Other schools: varies by school.)
For exams where there is an optional essay required, you will not receive scores for your essays until after CollegeBoard has scored them (approximately 2 weeks).