College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a computer-based credit by examination program. Tests are available in
over 30 different subject areas. Earning a passing score on a CLEP exams can help
you to earn credit towards general education requirements and/or the completion of
an undergraduate degree.
For information on SJSU credit for CLEP exams, check the online SJSU catalog, or visit TES.
How to Register
- Register for the test at CLEP registration, then print out the voucher they send you.
- College Board charges $89 per exam (effective 7/1/19).
- E-mail our office to schedule an appointment.
- Please request appointments at least 1-2 business days in advance.
- We administer CLEP exams Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
Appointments are available at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm.
- Exams last about 90 minutes.
- On the day of your appointment, please bring:
- A valid photo ID. (Acceptable IDs include US Federal or State-issued driver's licenses, ID cards, and/or passports. Foreign passports are also accepted.)
- A printout of your voucher from CLEP. (We cannot activate the test without this.)
- $25 to cover our office's fee for the exam. This is separate from the payment made to College Board. We can accept a check/money order (payable to SJSU), or cash (exact change only, please).
- If you need directions, click here for a campus map. Our office is in the Industrial Studies (IS) building, on the second floor in room 228. For driving directions/navigation, please set your navigation to the corner of 9th Street and San Fernando, which will take you to the closest parking garage. Parking permit machines are located on level 3 & above, near the elevators.
- This test center does not offer the optional paper essay for any of the CLEP exams.
- Most CLEP exams require a score of 50 to pass. If you score below the minimum threshold to receive credit, you must wait 3 months before you retake the exam.
Active Military Service Members and Veterans
For active military service members, DANTES (Defence Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) pays your exam fee to CollegeBoard for the first attempt per test title, and our test center's administrative fee will be waived.
To schedule an appointment, please e-mail the Testing Office. When you make your appointment, inform the test center administrator that your exam fee is funded by DANTES. Please remember to bring your military ID when you check in, and remind us when you come in that your exam fee is being covered by DANTES.
If you do not know whether your exam fee is funded by DANTES, contact DANTES at (850) 452-1063 regarding your eligibility.
For veterans, DANTES does not fund the exam fee to CollegeBoard. Depending on your benefits election, some veterans can claim full reimbursement for CLEP exams and exam administration fees by provision of the Veterans' Benefits Improvement Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-454), which enhances the education benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill. Our test center's administration fee will still be collected.
Score reports are available immediately after the exam (except for exams with essays). CollegeBoard will transmit official score reports to your designated school within 2 weeks. Please allow time for your school to process and post your scores once the report arrives.
For exams where there is an optional essay required, you will not receive scores for your essays until after CollegeBoard has scored them.